Always do a full backup with Fractal-Bot before loading any new firmware so you can restore later
Firmware 17.00 for the Axe-Fx II has been released. Below are the release notes.
Click here for the complete list of Release Notes for the Axe-Fx II.
17.00 Release Notes:
- Added preamp simulation to Cabinet block. The simulations recreate the sound of overdriven channel strips, preamps, tapes, etc. The Drive parameter controls the gain of the simulation. The Sat parameter controls the ratio of even/odd harmonics. The Preamp Mode parameter (on Page 2) allows selecting between Economy and High Quality modes. In High Quality mode oversampling is employed to prevent aliasing but this results in higher CPU usage.
- Added “3 Band Console” types to Graphic EQ and Amp blocks.
- Added “Fast RMS” detector type to Multiband Compressor.
- Added “SDD Preamp”, “FET Preamp” and “Ruckus” types to Drive block.
- Changed Cabinet Type parameter behavior so that the value wraps around at limits.
- The Flanger block has been completely rewritten. The new algorithms now model the behavior of classic bucket-brigade device (BBD) units (except they are true stereo). Any existing presets will need to be auditioned and possibly edited. The Depth parameter works somewhat differently now and sets the maximum delay time (up to 20 ms). When Auto Depth is not off the maximum delay is reduced as the rate is increased. There are now three Auto Depth values: Low, Medium and High. Turning Auto Depth to Off allows complete control over the delay time. The minimum time is set by the Delay parameter and the maximum time is set by the Depth. Several new Flanger types have been added which demonstrate the new algorithms.
- The Chorus block has a new algorithm based on the BBD algorithm developed for the Flanger block. All the “Analog” chorus types now use this algorithm. Several new types have been added which demonstrate the new algorithms.
- The EQ page of the Amp block now supports changing the EQ Type using the Up/Down Nav buttons. The type of EQ will be briefly displayed after it has been changed. The type is also briefly displayed when first switching to that page.
- Added “DYN EQ” GUI page to Amp block. This page now holds the Dynamic Depth, Dynamic Presence, Character Amount (Char Amt, previously named “Character”) and Character Freq parameters as well as two new parameters: Character Type and Character Q. Character Type selects between a shelving behavior or a peaking behavior. The previous behavior was always shelving. Character Q controls the bandwidth of the response when the peaking behavior is chosen. The Character parameters now control a powerful dynamic equalizer that can be used to achieve tones and feel impossible with a real amplifier. Negative values of the Character Amount along with a peaking behavior result in midrange scoop where the scoop increases as you play harder. Positive values result in a midrange boost as you play harder. Experiment with the frequency, Q and amount to achieve interesting dynamic response.
- Added VU meters to Utility menu. The meters show the relative loudness of the channels. These readouts can be used to help set preset levels to the same apparent volume. For convenience the level of the Amp blocks can be set from this page. Also, the value of the Output Level knobs is displayed in this page for reference (note that this is only for reference and does not affect the VU meters as the measurement is prior to the Output Level potentiometers).
- Added “1959SLP Jump” amp model.
- Added “FAS Modern III” amp model. Similar to a Recto but with tighter bass and a cathode-biased power amp.
- Added shortcut to Ref Solo in first page of Tone Match block. Pressing the Down button will toggle the Ref Solo value allowing one to switch between the reference sound and the local (user) sound with the press of a button.
- The level of the USB input signal when NOT routed to the input (when Main Input Source is NOT set to USB) has been reduced by 6 dB to prevent clipping when playing along with tracks that have been mastered at very high levels (near 0 dBFS).
- Improved Amp block power supply modeling by accounting for DC sag due to quiescent bias currents.
- Changed name of “ODS-100 Lead” and “ODS-100 Lead Mid” to “ODS-100 HRM” and “ODS- 100 HRM Mid” respectively to indicate that they are based on the “HRM” version of the ODS circuit. The names of the “ODS-100 Lead 2” and “ODS-100 Lead 3” models have been changed to “ODS-100 Ford 1” and “ODS-100 Ford 2” respectively to indicate that they are based on the “non-HRM” version of the ODS circuit.
- Fixed minor math error in Amp block transformer matching calculations.
- Fixed wrong CF Comp value in Solo 100 amp models.
- All the ODS-100 models have been redone and re-MIMIC’d based on errors found in the models (wrong negative feedback values).
- Added “ODS-100 Ford MD” model which is the same as ODS-100 Ford 1 but with the Mid switch engaged.
- Added “Rumble HRM” tone stack type which is based on a plate-driven Plexi-style tone stack found in a Dumble “Hot Rubber Monkey” amplifier.
- An exact solution has been implemented for the power amp feedback network in the “USA” amp models. As such all these amp models have been redone accordingly with the exception of the “USA Pre” amp models which use a more conventional power amp model. Any presets using these amp models should be reset either by deselecting then reselecting the amp model or by using the “Update Amps Default” in the Utility->Preset menu. Note: due to the unique topology of the feedback network in these amps the Depth control is non-functional.
- A “Presence Shift” switch has been added to certain “USA” amp models (those based on amps with a “Pull Shift” on the Presence knob). This switch is found under the Presence control and replicates the behavior when the Presence knob is pulled out on these amps. Note that the behavior of this switch is authentic and may result in volume reduction when active since the negative feedback is increased which lowers the loop gain.
- Replaced the two 4×12 “Kalthallen” cabs with two UltraRes samples from Cab Pack 7.
- Fixed several wrong values in Fox ODS amp models.
- Fixed wrong value on input plate network in PVH 6160 II model.